- Published: 11 October 2014
All Medical Women's Society members are invited to attend the AFMW AGM.
This will be held at Trinity College in Room 1/Drama Room of the Evan Burge Buildling (see map) in conjunction with the VMWS AGM. Trinity College is located at The University of Melbourne, Royal Parade, Parkville, 3052. It will follow the AFMW Annual Face-to-Face Meeting and the AFMW Triennial General Meeting.
Order of Proceedings:
1. 1000 - 1230 hrs. AFMW Council Meeting. For more information, click here.
2. 1230 - 1300 hrs. AFMW Triennial General Meeting. For more information, click here.
3. 1300 - 1700 hrs. AFMW Strategic Planning Meeting.
2. 1800 hrs - VMWS AGM. For more information, click here.
3. 1830 hrs (immediately following VMWS AGM) - AFMW AGM
4. VMWS Constance Stone Oration and Dinner will follow.
- Published: 24 October 2014
As we barrel up to another Christmas, I bid you farewell as President of AFMW. I have now served two terms of three years and am very pleased to hand over the baton to Dr Sharon Tivey, who has served with distinction for many years as AFMW Treasurer.
There have been many highlights over the past six years - involvement in activities of importance to medical women as well as women and children in ours and the global community (for a few of the latest examples, see below), as well as the more mundane - like modernising the AFMW Constitution and ensuring our Governance remains compliant!
It has been a honour to contribute to an organisation which exists on behalf of medical women, and has done since 1927.
- Published: 13 October 2014
The AFMW has been required to update its Constitution and incorporate the Model Rules to comply with incorporation requirements.
The AFMW Governance Sub-committee, in particular Dr Catherine Duncan (Vic) and Dr Marjorie Cross (ACT) have volunteered many hours to drafting a constitutional revision, available here. We will be required to endorse the new constitution at the November 15 2014 Face-To-Face Meeting.
Under our current constitution, the rules for altering or amending the constitution are as follows:
15. Alteration to Constitution
This Constitution may be altered or amended at any General meeting or at a Special General Meeting called for that purpose provided that particulars of the proposed alterations or amendments shall have been given to each Member Association not less than six weeks before the date of such a meeting. A two-thirds majority of those present and eligible to vote is necessary to change the constitution.
We look forward to your contribution!
- Published: 12 October 2014
Notice is hereby given that the Annual Face-to-Face Meeting and the Annual Triennial General Meeting for the Australian Federation of Medical Women (AFMW) will be held on Saturday November 15 2014 from 12:30 until 17:00.
Location: Room 1/Drama Room, Evan Burge Building, Trinity College, Royal Parade, Parkville, 3052. See map.
For more information, including the Agenda for the Annual Face-to-Face Meeting and the Annual Triennial General Meeting, see here.
The AFMW AGM will follow at 18:30. All Medical Women's Society members are invited to the AFMW AGM. For more information, click here.
- Published: 02 July 2014
Happy New Financial Year to all!
Here at AFMW we have been busy these past three months! I have briefly summarised our main activities below:
- AFMW lobbied the Minister for Foreign Affairs and other MPs to lend their support to the 'Bring Back Our Girls' campaign for the release of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls.
- AFMW saw the production of the first progress report for the Australian Research Grant-funded study 'Elucidating the increasing demand for genital cosmetic surgery among girls and women in Australia', carried out in alliance with The Jean Hailes Foundation, Southern Health, Family Planning Victoria and Women's Health Victoria.
- AFMW members A/Prof Jan Coles, Dr Desiree Yap, Prof Gabrielle Casper and Dr Raie Goodwach submitted a response to the World Health Organisation's (WHO) recent Secretariat report entitled 'Addressing the global challenge of violence, in particular against women and girls'
- Published: 16 February 2014
AFMW has partnered with five other Australian organisations in a 3 year ARC funded research project that seeks to elucidate the increasing demand for female genital cosmetic surgery in Australia. The study is administered by Monash University and involves the Jean Hailes for Women's Health, Women's Health Victoria, Family Planning Victoria, Southern Health and the Australian Federation of Medical Women.
We are seeking women who have considered or had genital modification (surgery, vajazzling, waxing, colouring, piercing and more), and professionals (doctors and beauty therapists) who have patients or clients who seek genital modification. We would love to hear your perspectives through a 15-30 minute interview conducted by phone or email with a Monash University researcher.
The results of this study will contribute to programs for sexuality and body image education, public health campaigns about normal genital diversity, and professional development for doctors and beauty therapists.
Please share this information through your networks!
- Published: 28 April 2014
Happy Autumn Everyone!
AFMW has had a number of busy months since our last newsletter. The Council continues to consider how best to share all the relevant information with the State Committees and members - as the balance between too much information and not enough is a hard one to strike. To that end, a summary is provided below!
- Some lucky AFMW members have attended the Commission on the Status of Women annual meeting which was held in New York last month. The theme was 'Challenges and achievements in the implementation of the Millennium Development Goals for women and girls'. Professor Gabrielle Casper and a number of her Notre Dame students attended and presented - hopefully their reports will be ready for the next newsletter.
- Please remember to notify the secretariat if you know of a medical woman registered for over 50 years as both AFMW and MWIA have a Golden Jubilee Certificate for them!
- May 2014 is the World Health Organisation (WHO) World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland. If you wish to attend, AFMW can register you with MWIA and you are welcome to attend. Contact AFMW Secretariat to register your interest.