The Consultation Report:
(1) advocates for a long-term model of care for survivors of sexual violence.
(2) acknowledges the Australian Government’s strong commitment to the prevention of violence against women and seeks to build on this commitment by addressing a gap in the national agenda relating to the long-term healthcare needs of the 1 in 3 Australian women who are survivors of sexual violence.
(3) advocates for the establishment of a multidisciplinary foundation or Centre of Excellence (including referral pathways to strengthen access to care) in order to drive the 25 recommendations in the report forward.
(4) is under-pinned by an extensive consultation process and a review of the academic literature and tertiary teaching curricula.
(5) includes messages of support from Professor Afua Hesse (President Elect, Medical Women’s International Association); Libby Lloyd AM (Chair VAWAG); and Dr Michael Steiner (President AMA NSW).