Flexible training encompasses a broad range of options:
- part time positions or job sharing
- changed location of work (i.e. telehealth consultations from home)
- time off in lieu, rostered days off
- altered working hours in the day
- career, study or community participation breaks from work
- jobs with a split between clinical work, research and teaching
- parental leave
- transition to retirement.
Reasons to seek flexible training are diverse. There are challenges to be overcome but also benefits for trainee, trainer and employer.