Each year SIDS and Kids fields thousands of queries through a bereavement support line. Ongoing professional support for families is available 24 hours a day through counselling sessions, after hours counselling, home visits and a range of support groups and events. SIDS and Kids programs are offered free of charge to all family members and friends who need support. For as long as they need them, SIDS and Kids are there!
Since 1990, education initiatives sunch as the SIDS and Kids Safe Sleeping Program have saved the lives of an estimated 6,500 Australian babies. Working with health care professionals, childcare organisations and online support networks, new parents have benefited from the SIDS and Kids Safe Sleeping recommendations. Further information can be found by visiting www.sidsandkids.org
SIDS and Kids Safe Sleeping
SIDS and Kids Safe Sleeping, is an evidence based program that provides families, infant carers and health professionals with information about how to reduce the risk of SIDS and fatal sleeping accidents and create a safe sleeping environment for babies. More information on this is available at www.sidsandkids.org. The SIDS and Kids Safe Sleeping program recommends:
• Sleep baby on back from birth, not tummy or side.
• Sleep baby with face and head uncovered and free from bedding, pillows and toys.
• Avoid exposing baby to tobacco smoke before birth and after.
• Provide a safe sleeping environment with safe furniture and bedding – no quilts, doonas, duvets, pillows in cot etc.
• Sleep baby in their own safe sleeping environment next to the parents bed for the first six to twelve months of life.
• Although it’s a special moment cuddling your child, babies and children are still at risk when they’re asleep on their tummy whilst resting on an adults chest, especially if the adult falls asleep in an unsafe sleeping environment (eg couch, sofa).