This list of updates from The Conversation is all about Climate and why AFMW’s Climate Health Action Group (CHAG is so important. It explains why we as AFMW should be engaged and outspoken on this issue of climate change and climate health impacts.
The Australian Federation of medical Women see Climate Action as the greatest health opportunity to prevent premature deaths, address climate and health inequity and unlock substantial health and economic benefits.
To this effect, AFMW is one of 58 member organisations to have co-signed the letter addressed and sent to the Prime Minister on 30th April 2021, urging him to commit to:
- Including health in our official Paris Agreement contribution
- Decarbonising health by 2040
- Enact a National Strategy on Climate, Health and Wellbeing.
AFMW CHAG Vision
- Advocate for awareness of Climate Change and its gendered impacts
- Encourage membership participation in Climate Change advocacy at local, state, national and international levels
- Recommend doctors and hospitals decarbonize their practices and hospitals by 2040
- Unify the voice of medical women to collectively pressure governments locally, nationally and internationally
- Conduct research on climate change and health effects on women and children through our affiliations
- Reflect on indigenous knowledge of land and health and incorporate these messages