To address issues of workplace violence, the RACGP has launched guidelines titled “General Practice – a safe place: tips and tools”. This page at the RACGP website contains resources including an instructional e-Book and posters designed to assist medical practitioners prevent and manage patient initiated threats to the personal safety of general practice staff.
The booklet outlines a range of practical strategies to assist general practices to appropriately minimise risks of violence, including means to:
* create a safe physical environment
* flag the files of patients with a history of violent behaviour within a practice
* assertively clinically manage patients at risk of violent behaviour
* work with other services to reduce the future risk of violence, and
* support the general practice team after experiences of violence.