AFMW is committed to working towards equitable health outcomes for all, especially women and children.
An essential part of this is the AFMW Reconciliation Action Plan.
Here are some of a collection of resources we hope will help us all understand the importance of Reconciliation.
Growing the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander medical specialists
Books to read
- White Fragility by Robyn Diangelo
- Why I Am No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Decolonising Solidarity: Dilemmas and Directions for Supporters of Indigenous Struggles by Clare Land
- Learn about, and set up a “Decolonising Solidarity” Book Club Project
Follow on social media
- IndigenousX: https://indigenousx.com.au, @IndigenousX
- Warriors of the Aboriginal Resistance @WARcollective
- Amy McQuire – Darambal / South Sea Islander Journalist (2020). ‘There cannot be 432 victims and no perpetrators…’. The Saturday Paper. Edition No. 304. Accessed June 11
- Deaths inside. Indigenous Australian deaths in custody 2020. The Guardian. Posted at https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/ng-interactive/2018/aug/28/deaths-inside-indigenous-australian-deaths-in-custody
- Amy McQuire. We must bear witness to black deaths in our own country. Posted at https://amymcquire.substack.com/p/we-must-bear-witness-to-black-deaths
- Paul Silva. ‘The video of George Floyd took me back to when I saw my uncle’s death’. Posted at https://www.solidarity.net.au/highlights/the-video-of-george-floyd-took-me-back-to-when-i-saw-my-uncles-death/
- Madeline Hayman-Reber. Inquest into Tanya Day’s death in custody. Posted at https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/indigenous-affairs/2019/09/14/inquest-tanya-days-death-custody/15683832008782
- Alison Whittaker. ‘Dragged like a dead kangaroo’: why language matters for deaths in custody. Posted at https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/07/dragged-like-a-dead-kangaroo-why-language-matters-for-deaths-in-custody.
- Read: NITV coverage on deaths in custody. Posted at https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/subject/deaths-custody
- Celeste Liddle. Fair-skin privilege? I’m sorry, but things are much more complicated than that. Posted at http://blackfeministranter.blogspot.com/2014/03/fair-skin-privilege-im-sorry-but-things.html
- Celeste Liddle. Why I prefer the term ‘black’. Posted at http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/real-life/why-i-prefer-the-term-black-20140224-33cte.html
- Eugenia Flynn. Solidarity – YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. Posted at https://eugeniaflynn.wordpress.com/2014/04/14/solidarity-you-are-doing-it-wrong/
Marissa is a paediatric intensive care medicine trainee based in Brisbane.