Dr Magdalena Simonis
VMWS State Report
AFMW Council Meeting
- Meetings held 4/2/2019 committee meeting; SPM 3/12/2019
- Magdalena Simonis VMWS President application for National Coordinator Role MWIA submitted.
- Some items outstanding from meeting prior to Strategic Planning Meeting.
Website development – sent to Upwork for advice and quote. Upwork so far, satisfactory.
- In December 2018 Dr Elysia Robb proposed that we send a letter for equal pay for education in GP training. Dr Magdalena Simonis sent, on behalf of VMWS and Elysia, to RACGP, MCCC, GPRA, AGPT, including Dr Harry Nespolin – current President of RACGP.
Received 3 responses, now waiting for RACGP to respond. No responses received yet from RACGP.
- VMWS issued a response/submission to the (State) Royal Commission into Mental Health. M Simonis prepared and submitted this.
- MWIA Centennial Memorial Book: Invitation was sent to AFMW (and all other nations) on 22nd October 2018. M Simonis coordinated effort for AFMW members to contribute towards sponsorship of MWIA Centennial Memorial Book. Contribution of $10US or $10EU rounded up to $20AU for AFMW members requested, to be sent as one lump sum on 25/2/2019. MWIA closing date for contributions was 28/2/2019. MWIA so far has received in order of $14,000 US dollars.AFMW representation amounts to a total of: $240AU (converts to $171.07US). Names of the 12 respondents included below. I’d like to thank them for their prompt responses).
Madhura Naidu (VMWS)
Anne Meyers (VMWS)
Elysia Robb (VMWS)
Adele Storch (VMWS
Merrilyn Murnane (VMWS)
Rosalind Terry (VMWS)
Kate Duncan (VMWS)
Marissa Daniels (QLD)
Melanie Dorrington (ACT)
Anne Stanaway (VMWS)
Magdalena Simonis (VMWS)
Desiree Yap (VMWS)
Ailsa Walbran (VMWS)
- Other Business which may be of interest to members:
a) M Simonis a co-presenter in national webinar on male and female aspects of preconception fertility – Joint project with Andrology Australia, Jean Hailes and Your Fertility. The date for the live event is Wednesday March 13 from 7.00pm – 8.30pm. It will be filmed by webinar company, Redback. It will be a GP webinar discussing fertility issues, how to discuss with men and how to invite/encourage them to discuss fatherhood/preconception health. Your Fertility is the government funded NFP which is represented through Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority (VARTA).
b) M Simonis delivering a workshop on Saturday 23/3/2019 as part of RACGP Women In General Practice: “Planning for the Unplanned”, an update on TOP=STOP/mTOP legislation, pathways and referrals. With Dr Catherine Orr (CERSH) who will deliver workshop on how to prescribe mTOP.
c) Newsletters: so far issued only February 2019 issue – due to website build, glitches
d) “How We Do What We Do” session was on 28/3/19, with 4 speakers (see flyer above) – Dr Catherine Crock, Dr Vicki Kotsirilos, Dr Neela Janakiramanan and Dr Magdalena Simonis, and attended by 44. Good post-event feedback was received.
e) May 7th 6pm-7:30pm. Dr Simonis invited to launch the book Women to the Front, the Extraordinary Australian Women Doctors in the Great War to be held at the Welsh Church, 320 Latrobe Street Melbourne, where Constance Stone converted the church hall into the ward of the Queen Victoria Hospital. Authors: Dr Heather Sheard and Dr Ruth Lee.
f) VMWS contributed to the Contemporary Standards Framework, Culturally responsive clinical practice: Working with people from migrant and refugee backgrounds (the Framework). This was officially launched in February this year and VMWS contribution was acknowledged.