AFMW congratulates Assoc Prof Magdalena Simonis on being awarded the Member of the Order of Australia. It is a richly deserved recognition of all that she does in women’s health, for gender equity, in the climate health space and in digital health, as well as in the Greek community and for general practice. The AFMW Executive is so proud of her achievement of this award and for the dedication she has shown in leading AFMW.
Clinical Associate Professor Magdalena SIMONIS, VIC
For significant service to medicine through a range of roles, and to women’s health.
- General Practitioner, since 1995.
- General Practitioner Advisor, National COVID-19 Vaccination rollout, 2021.
- General Practitioner, since 1991.
- Shared Antenatal Care Medical Practitioner, since 1993.
- Range of Medical Roles, Northern Hospital, 1987-1995.
Royal Australian College General Practitioners (RACGP)
- Fellow, since 1993.
- Member, Expert Committee Practitioners Quality Care, since 2015.
- Co-Chair, Women in General Practice, RACGP Victoria, 2013-2015, and Member, since 2014.
- National Representative, Victorian Assisted Reproductive Treatment Authority Advisory Board, since 2014.
- Member, National Covid-19 Taskforce Women’s Health Expert Advisory Group, 2020-2022.
- Member, E-Health Expert Committee, 2011-2015.
- Examiner, since 2011.
- Member, Electronic Medication Profile working group collaborating with National Electronic Health Transition Authority, 2011-2015.
- Founding Member, Health Informatics Special Interest Group, since 2014.
- Co-lead Women’s Health Chapter review, RACGP Red Book.
- Senate Enquiry Representative Transvaginal Mesh, 2018 and ACQSHC Transvaginal Mesh Expert Advisory Group, 2018.
Australian Federation of Medical Women
- President, 2020-2023.
- National Coordinator, 2019-2022.
- Member, since 2009.
Medical Women’s International Association
- Co-Chair Scientific and Research Subcommittee, 2019-2022.
- Chair, Mentoring and Leadership Group, 2019-2022.
- Member, since 2008.
Women’s Health Victoria
- Board Member, 2013-2022.
- Chair, Policy, Projects and Tasks Sub-Committee since 2020.
Victorian Medical Women’s Society
- President, 2017-2022 and 2012-2013.
- Vice President, 2009-2012.
Australian Medical Association
- Member, Victorian General Practice Committee, since 2017.
- General Practitioner Representative (Elected), Federal Council, since 2022.
Professional Organisations – Other
- Member, Endometriosis Online Learning Resources Steering Committee, Royal Australia and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, 2019-2021.
- Committee Member, Medico Legal Society of Victoria, 2009-2015.
- Member, Australian Menopause Society, current.
- Member, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, 1989.
- Member, Australasian Institute for Digital Health, current.
- Member, Australasian HIV and Sexual Health Association, current.
- Member, Sexual Health Society of Victoria, current.
- Member, Doctors for the Environment Australia.
The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Medical School
- Clinical Associate Professor, Safer Families Centre of Research Excellence, 2021.
- Honorary Senior Research Fellow, Safer Families, Centre of Research Excellence, Department of General Practice, since 2015.
- Founding Member, Victorian Primary Care Practice-based Research Network, since 2007.
- Research Co-Supervisor, General Practice and Primary Health Care Academic Centre, since 2013.
- Director, Melbourne Teaching Health Clinics, current.
- Senior Lecturer, Department of General Practice, 2013-2015.
- Tutor and Examiner, since 2011.
- General Practitioner Facilitator, Sustainable Primary Care Family Violence Model Project, 2018-2020.
Health – Other
- Member, Cosmetic Surgery Technical Advisory Group, Australian Medical Council, 2022.
- Cosmetic Surgery Technical Advisory Group, Australian Commission on Quality and Safety in Health Care, (ACQSHC), 2023.
- ACQSHC Transvaginal Mesh Expert Advisory Group.
- Member, Strategy and Policy Advisory Board, Breast Cancer Network Australia, since 2015.
- Member, Breast Cancer Signpost Study Steering Committee, since 2017.
- Member, Hearing Health Advisory Panel, Hearing Australia, 2016-2020.
- Member, National Endometriosis Expert Advisory Group, Department of Health and Ageing, since 2022.
Dr Marjorie Cross, OAM
AFMW Council member
AFMW representative for ACT and Region MWS
The Australian Federation of Medical Women (AFMW) is a not for profit, politically neutral, non sectarian, non government organisation that seeks to improve the health of all Australians, especially the health of women and children.
Events and Updates coordination by AFMW, on behalf of the Australian Federation of Medical Women (AFMW), its affiliated Australian state and territory partners and international networks and supporters. If you have an update or event you would like to share with us for Australian medical women, please contact us with details. Thank you.