Download the most recent statement:
Second AFMW COVID-19 PANDEMIC (SARS-CoV-2) Public Statement
Second AFMW COVID-19 PANDEMIC (SARS-CoV-2) Resource List
AFMW COVID-19 PANDEMIC (SARS-CoV-2) Public Statement | View Resources & Links
The AFMW recognises the Global COVID-19 Pandemic as a health emergency first and foremost, in addition to its profound social and financial consequences.
Our members are urged to consult regularly the relevant Federal and State Health websites for resources, situational and procedural updates.
We request Federal and State Governments to give priority to our concerns below, and welcome comments and feedback from our members, so that we can truly be the voice of Australian Medical Women during this crisis.
We emphasize that epidemiological evidence indicates that coronavirus ‘responds extremely well to public health measures such as social distancing and quarantining’*, and that Australia is uniquely positioned medically, socially and geographically to provide “extreme social distancing” in a compassionate and caring way that will protect our most vulnerable during this pandemic until a vaccine becomes available that can reduce community acquired infection.
(*epidemiologist Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz )
The Executive Committee
Australian Federation of Medical Women
12 March 2020
Updated 14 March 2020 with additional resources and Appendix 1
Updated 23 March 2020
Updated 21 April 2020
Download the current statement:
Resources and Links
Here is a collection of resources and links we found particularly useful. If you find something to add, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LitCOVID – Pubmed curated literature hub
- Covid-19 by numbers: total global case count
- Controlling Coronavirus Spread
- Advice for workers and workplaces
- Articles by Victorian Medical Women’s Society President and GP Dr Magdalena Simonis
- Dr Wendy Burton and her team at ‘GPs Can’ have developed some fabulous guides:
- The Italian COVID-19 Experience Podcasts by Pediatrica Intensiva
- Professor Raina MacIntyre – Questions for COVID-19 control: schools, airborne transmission, health worker PPE and vaccination strategies. Webinar hosted by The Kirby Institute