Young AFMW's Role and Purpose
Female medical students and doctors fewer than 7 years since graduation, OR younger than 40 yrs of age, are eligible to join Young AFMW. Our aims are to:
a) Identify issues of importance to our membership;
b) Provide strategic direction and leadership to the group of young AFMW members;
c) Provide leadership opportunities for young AFMW members;
d) To do a, b, and c with a focus on creative and effective communication; and
e) To do a, b and c with attention to ensuring our work is evidence-based where possible, and, where evidence is lacking, seek to address deficits in available evidence.
Application and Selection Process:
- Submit your application here.
- Selection criteria:
- tell us how your values are aligned with those of Young AFMW
- tell us how the position will benefit both you and the organisation
- Nominations close Friday October 23
- Selection will be made by vote of the Young AFMW Committee and Members
- The Committee will be announced at the AFMW Council Meeting on November 7.
- This person is the leader of the group and representative to AFMW Council.
- She is responsible for providing feedback to Council on Young AFMW activities and provides a written report to AFMW Council at each AFMW Council meeting.
- This role supports the President.
- Responsible for communication with members, including social media and website content
- Supports AFMW Webmaster with AFMW website administration
- Liaises with AFMW Treasurer for access to funds and a budget.
- This role may be suitable for someone interested in learning about AFMW’s Treasurer role.
- There are two representatives for each Australian state and territory.
- They advocate for the needs of their state members to the Committee.
- These reps are responsible for communication with Young AFMW members from their state.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Representative
- The person in this role is to foster cultural sensitivity and inclusiveness in the organisation.
- She advocates for the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander medical students and doctors in all aspects of the work of the Committee.
- This role is responsible for facilitating international opportunities for young AFMW members.
- This will include liaison with the MWIA National Coordinator.
- The role also includes advocating for the needs of international medical students, international graduates and overseas trained doctors working in Australia.
- Young AFMW will undertake up to three projects each year. Each is to be lead by a dedicated committee member.
- This role suits itself well to Young AFMW members with a project they would like to propose Young AFMW undertake in 2021.
Marissa Daniels is a paediatric intensive care medicine trainee, yAFMW co-Chair and past Treasurer for AFMW.